Every since I installed Lion last week I’ve had a great experience aside from one annoying glitch that I already wrote about: the spaces were missing from my Helvetica Neue Bold in Photoshop and Illustrator. Forum threads were started, tweets were sent out… but no answers seemed available.
Until today. Today, I stumbled on the answer, inspired by a forum thread I found on MacThemes. It’s quick, easy, and it works (at least for me). So here’s the instructions, prefaced with some disclaimers:
a) This worked for me, and I’ve only tested it in Photoshop CS4.
b) Backup stuff before you delete, change, or modify anything.
Onto the instructions…
- You need (I’m assuming) a pre-Lion version of Helvetica Neue. If you don’t have one, here you go: http://cl.ly/2v2E1b1W1H3i2z2u0p3p
- Copy it (Apple+C)
- Go to /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/
- Delete HelveticaNeue.dfont from that folder and paste in the replacement (Apple+V)
- Go to /System/Library/Fonts/
- Delete HelveticaNeue.dfont from that folder and it should auto-replace itself. If it doesn’t, paste in the replacement again
- At this point, you should clear out font caches for Photoshop. I use Font Explorer so that makes it easy. You can also use Onyx to do that.
Hope this works for everyone else!